We believe that Koondrook Primary School should be a happy learning environment which meets the needs of all students at all levels of their school life.
All students and staff have:
- The right to be safe
- The right to be treated with respect
- The right to work and play without interference
School-Wide Positive Behaviour Support (SWPBS)
SWPBS is a whole school program which aims to create a positive school climate, a culture of student competence and an open, responsive management system for all school community members.
Introducing, modelling and reinforcing positive social behaviour is an important component of a student’s educational experience. Teaching behavioural expectations and rewarding or recognising students for following them is a much more positive approach than waiting for misbehaviour to occur before responding.
The School-Wide Positive Behaviour Support program is underpinned by the school’s values. At Koondrook Primary School, our values are reflected in our everyday learning and are displayed and taught explicitly in all areas of the school.
Our values are the Three R’s: RESPECT, RESPONSIBILITY and RESILIENCE.
Components of SWPBS
- An agreed upon and common approach to discipline
- A positive statement of purpose
- A set of Values agreed upon by the school community
- A matrix of positively stated expectations for students and staff
- Procedures for teaching the expectations
- A continuum of procedures for encouraging expected behaviours and discouraging inappropriate behaviours
- A reward system for recognising and celebrating positive behaviours
- Procedures for monitoring the effectiveness of the systems
Expected behaviours are acknowledged and rewarded. Students can earn ‘tokens’ and these can be traded for prizes at our Rewards Shop. They have an opportunity to earn ‘tokens’ in their classroom, during specialist classes and in the yard. Expectations are clearly displayed in each classroom in the form of a Matrix.